Brown and blue

Friday, October 5, 2012

Mom's only trip to Barcelona



I have made some pretty amazing friends here in the Netherlands and a few of us decided to go away for the weekend. MOM'S ONLY!!! I was a little nervous because in the past 18 months I have not been away from Jackson over night.  I was nervous for how he would do and I was nervous for how I would do.  Of course I knew Jackson was in good hands with Daddy, but still a mom has to worry right????

The 3 of us took a quick flight to Barcelona just for the weekend. We got in around 10 pm Friday night and after a LATE (to us) night dinner we headed to bed.  The next morning we were so sad to see that it was going to be a rainy day!  After living in the Netherlands you would think we were used to the rain. Not true! Well at least not when it is pouring for pretty much the entire day. 

We only had 2 days there and we knew we wanted to do some shopping.  So we made the most of it and found an indoor mall and shopped the day away!  I really have forgotten what it's like to go to a store, actually look at more than one thing and try on clothes.  It was great!

We had made reservations for lunch at Cinc Sentits, it was recommended to us and we are so happy we went!  What an amazing experience.  Lunch didn't start until 1:30 and after 6 delicious courses we were finally finished with lunch around 3:30.

We thought the rain had let up so we thought we would see a few sites. Thank goodness we went shopping so we could buy umbrellas because the break in rain didn't last long!  Walking through all these European cities, I am constantly amazed at the architecture.  It was however a little harder to see through our umbrellas. 

We made it to the Sagrada Familia, which is one of the most amazing cathedrals I have ever seen. (I've seen alot now) The church has been being built since 1882 and is still in the works.  The church as well as many other famous buildings in Barcelona was built by Gaudi.

Day 2 started off great!  The sun was shining, we had some amazing pastries for breakfast and Starbucks coffee to go along with it all!  We took a hop on, hop off bus tour around the city which is about the best way to see as much as possible in such a short time! 





I think the highlight of the day was taking a Gondola ride up a mountain to a castle to see the view of the city and ocean. What an amazing site to be able to see mountains, a million houses, and then the ocean!!

The lowlight may have been my shoe breaking right after our Paella lunch :( I nearly fell on my face as my shoe caught the ground and ripped apart!  Luckily for us we were right on the beach and in tourist city so I found a pair of cheap flip flops to get me along!

We were up early Monday morning and on our way back to reality to see our amazing families. I think we all missed them so much! 




1 comment:

Jessica said...

It was such a fun trip! I think we should do this at least once a month! ;) or maybe once a year is more feasible... :)