Brown and blue

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Delft

The Netherlands is traditionally known for it's blue and white pottery so yesterday we set out to go to Delft, the place where it is all made.  We took a tour of the Royal Delft factory which is the last remaining Delftware factory dating back to the 17th century.  Each piece is still handmade by one of seven painters and you can even watch them making it (if you go during the week). 




They have a Christmas plate collections which is really neat and while taking the tour I was determined to get one.  That is, until I saw the price.  One plate is nearly 500 Euros so around 700 dollars. I quickly changed my mind!!! Even the plates from the past years are around 300 euros.


The city of Delft is also known for its beautiful churches and architecture.  You can see the old buildings leaning in all along canals which are decorated with Christmas lights. So far I think it is my favorite city that we have been to in the Netherlands!





No comments: